Higher Sea Mills can accommodate seven people - ideally four - five adults and two or three children, or two adults and four children and perhaps a small baby.
The cottage is well furnished and has the following accommodation:
- One large sitting room with an open fire and french windows out to the garden - and a slate patio where you can eat out if it is warm enough.
- A large farmhouse kitchen with an oil-fired Aga, washing machine, microwave, fridge-freezer. Large pine table seating seven, and a pine dresser.
- A small study or TV room overlooking the garden.
- A family bathroom with bath, hand-held shower and WC and heated towel rail
- One double bedroom overlooking the creek with double bed
- One double bedroom overlooking the creek with en-suite shower room,WC and heated towel rail - (and with double bed).
- One single bedroom overlooking the creek - (one single bed)
- Bunk room with two bunk beds (sleeps 2 children)
- Travel cot and high chair available.
Linen and towels, (not beach towels) and crockery are all provided. There is a TV and a radio and for those with computers or smart phones broadband is available. There are electric heaters in all rooms. Electricity and firewood are supplied and the Aga is oil-fired. Sorry we do not allow dogs.
Staying at the house
Higher Sea Mills is currently used by several generations of the owner's family. Although the cottage is well-equipped, it is more of a comfortable home than a commercial letting concern, and, as such, contains personal items such as books and paintings. The garden is very large and ideally suited for children (perfect for hide-and-seek and similar games). Most people who have stayed here - especially those with small children - have found the house and its setting idyllic.
The cottage occupies a unique position on the North Cornish coast. Remote enough to permit visitors a wonderfully secluded and private holiday, it is only about a 15 minute drive to Wadebridge and Padstow, (or about 40 minutes on foot to Padstow if you prefer to walk via the creek). While Padstow is probably better known on account of its association with Rick Stein and his famous restaurant (not to mention his hotel, fish and chip shop, bakery and bistro), Wadebridge is also worth visiting for its more varied shopping: old fashioned haberdashers, quality butchers and bakers, clothes and antique shops, several good coffee shops. Wadebridge and Padstow both have Tesco supermarkets, and there are many "Gastro" and child-friendly pubs in the area, serving a wide variety of food.
It is possible to swim in the creek from the little slate beaches near the cottage but they can be muddy, and many visitors prefer to drive to the local beaches to swim or surf. Most of these can be reached within twenty minutes by car and have on-site parking. Local beaches include Tregirls, Treyarnon, Constantine Bay, Booby’s Bay, Mother Ivey's, Harlyn, Trevone, Polzeath and many more. If you like walking, there are many cliff walks along the spectacular north Cornish coast a few minutes drive away, as well as a variety of walks and trails in the woods above Wadebridge, and on the more rugged slopes of Bodmin Moor.
Constantine Bay offers a fine golf course and there is a sailing club in Padstow. A regular ferry service carries passengers from Padstow to Rock where there is another sailing club and deeper water providing mooring for yachts and sailing dinghies. At high and mid tide, canoeing from Sea Mills is a delight. Canoes can be launched a few yards from the house, and kept out of the water if so desired, on a small quay immediately below or carried up to the house and left on one of the lawns if that feels more secure.
- Large Garden with lawns on several levels
- Quiet and secluded in all seasons
- Completely Private and Safe for small Children
- Close to Creek leading to the River Camel
- Sleeps up to 7 Guests + 1 baby in 4 Bedrooms & 2 Bathrooms
- Easy access to water for Canoes
- 15 min Drive or 45 min walk to Padstow with Passenger Ferry to Rock
- River Birds and Waders often visible from the Cottage
- Kitchen with a cosy oil-fired Aga
- Car Required
- Child Friendly
- Non Smoking
- Suitable for Elderly / Infirm
- Wheelchair Friendly
Child / Baby Facilities
- Cot Available
- High Chair
- Recycling Available
- Internet Access
- Satellite / Cable
- Cooking Utensils
- Iron & Board
- Linen Provided
- Log Fire
- Washing Machine
- Horse Riding
- Indoor Fun
- Outdoor Sports
- Rock Climbing
- Water Sports
- Beach (short drive)
- Bike Hire
- Farm Shop
- Internet Cafe
- Medical Centre
- Balcony / Terrace
- Parking for several vehicles
- Parking Off Street
- Patio Furniture
Type of Location
- Click to view full details
"Hi Ros, Thank you! The cottage and garden is absolutely lovely. We enjoyed our stay very much and would love to return!"